Monday, September 13, 2010

Being a Responsible Adult is Tough...

I hear people say all the time that "being a[repsonsible] adult is not fun!"  How true it is!  I've felt that way before but that feeling is becoming ever prominent in my life these days.  Shortly after Sofia was born Josh & I made the painful decision that I needed to return to work.  I'm not going to go into the details because, really, why else would I leave my two kids (read: need more money)?  We found two great babysitters at a price that wouldn't completely negate my paycheck.  That's been working out pretty well so far, despite the fact that I hate that I have to work. 

As I've said in previous posts, I've been feeling like I need to finish my schooling for a while.  I hadn't really been making too much progress in that arena until recently.  I'm taking the pre-req I need (stupid Chem 101 that I've taken before but with a grade that barely didn't make the cut for Nursing school) right now.  It's an online class, which is tough, but it's realistically the only way I can do it with my schedule.  I'm happy to say that I'm doing pretty well so far.  I'm planning on getting on the waiting list at SLCC when I finish this class but also applying to an LPN program through Mountain Land Applied Technology College.  I never really considered getting my LPN first but this is the year of changing perspective for me.  One of my best friends got her LPN through there & she finished pretty quickly.  If I go that route I can get my RN online or at a place like Weber State.  That is my number one choice because it's fairly quick & it'll still get me where I need to go. 

Being a working student mom is very tough.  I'm a bit sad that I never finished before I had kids.  But I can't change that now & I am determined to finish before I have any more kids.  I want to be there for my kids but I'd rather sacrifice now so I can have more time, money, & freedom with them in a few years.  To all those working/student moms: I feel ya & I really admire your courage & strength you have to do what you have to do for your family. 

1 comment:

Jen said...

Try not to feel too much "mother guilt". The perfect stereotypical stay at home mom thing doesn't really reflect a lot of womens' realities. Way to be smart with what you've got! Proud of you and I feel you. It can be tough sometimes, but most worthwhile things are. Hang in there!