Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mother's Day


Sunday was my first official Mother's Day. It did not go exactly as planned.

Normally, my husband's side of the family gets together at Josh's brother's to have dinner & celebrate Mother's Day. This year was just a quick impromptu gathering to give Josh's mom her presents & wish her a happy Mother's Day. (The reason for this is in a post below.) Josh & I didn't do much together either & my family here was with their in-laws.

Silly me, I had actually expected Josh to just "know" what I wanted to do for Mother's Day (I think my exact words were, "I just assumed you knew what happened on Mother's day." [you know what happens when you ass-u-me things, right? ]) & when he wasn't able to read my mind *shocker*, I was pretty ticked. I said some pretty stupid & insensitive things which now I look back on with disgust at myself. I always told myself I would never be "one of those women" who expect their husbands to read their minds. There I was complaining when, in actuality, Josh did provide me with a pretty great Mother's Day gift.

A few weeks ago, Josh asked me what I wanted "Steven" to give me for Mother's Day. I said I thought either a pedicure or a clean house (I never understood why my mom would say that until now...) & maybe breakfast in bed sounded pretty good. He jokingly said that he'd probably just get me a gift certificate so he wouldn't have to clean. About a week ago he & Steven came down with a cold & felt pretty lousy. However, after coming home one afternoon, I was very pleasantly surprised to find the house very clean & Josh just finishing up. Even though he didn't feel good, he decided to clean the house because he knew that would make me happy. Not only that but since then he's been continuing the trend. He'll do the laundry AND fold it AND put it away before I even get around to it, empty the dishwasher before he leaves for work & I'm still in bed & other wonderfully helpful "little things". When I look back at how shamefully I acted a few days ago, I can't believe that I hadn't really appreciated all he had done & all he continues to do. Needless to say, I am feeling pretty lucky & loved right about now. :)

2 comments:

Philip said...

Sounds like you have got a "Mother's Day" on more than just one day of the year! Thats neat you were able to look back and see that you have a hard-working husband that loves and appreciates you!

Janine said...

We've all done it one time or another. Don't worry about it, you'll have many more to makeup for it. And so will he :) And believe it or not, He'll get better at "reading your mind" out
of necessity. :)