Sofia is just about 15 months old & Steven will be 3 in September. I can't believe they're growing up so fast! It's fun to watch them grow into their own little personalities.
-Sofia has started walking! She has only been walking for a few weeks. She doesn't walk all the time, she will still crawl, but she is getting more & more adept at walking on her own. It's funny to watch her walk because you can tell she's still unsteady and will generally walk with both arms high up in the air for balance.
-Sofia has started smacking Steven on the head in order to get attention. If he isn't paying attention to her, she'll start hitting him on the head. Awesome.
-Sofia LOVES to go swimming. We've taken her a few times & she goes nuts! We'll be holding her in the water & she will try her hardest to get out of our arms. She is going to be our little dare devil, I can already tell. In the shallow end of the pool she will crawl around & try her hardest to swim on her own. She also likes to climb up things all the time: the back of the couch, up a slide, all around the jungle gym, onto the chairs and then on to the table...I swear Steven wasn't this much of a dare devil but maybe I have just blocked that part out...
-She has starting mimicking us a little bit. She will blow kisses sometimes or will hold her hands together when we say prayers. I love that one, especially, I think it's so cute! I didn't even consciously teach her that, either, she just did it one day at church. Kids are so smart!
-Sofia weighs a whopping 20.5 lbs (oooh I know, sooooo BIG! haha right) & is 32 inches long. I was shocked to find out that she is actually in the 90th percentile for height so that's great!
-Steven is getting to be such a little man! He talks a ton & has quite the personality. If someone says, "You're silly" or "You're crazy pants" or something else like that, he will say, "No! I'm not crazy pants! I'm Steven!" and proudly slap his chest. He definitely knows who he is!
-He is very good at his numbers & letters. I am happy to say that he knows all of his alphabet, he can count to about 13 or 14 (depending on the day) & definitely recognizes certain words. He has a few favorite books & he will "read" them to me. I think mostly he has it memorized but I love encouraging him to enjoy reading. We'll be driving & he'll recognize stores in our area but even when we're in a different part of town, if we pass by a Wal-mart or a Costco, he'll recognize them, too. I like to think he knows the word ;) Oh, & Wal-mart should be proud to know (although I'm not sure I'm proud admitting it...) that if we pass a truck that has the Wal-mart logo on it (you know, the little asterik * thing), he'll say, "Wal-mart!". It's sad how early kids learn those kinds of things...
-We're starting to teach Steven some simple math. He watches a lot of educational shows that teach him what patterns are & about shapes & all that so he knows some stuff already. Mostly we're just teaching him "1+1" & "1+2", that kind of thing. We like to show him the concept, too, by holding up how many fingers we're adding together & then bringing them closer so he can visualize it more. (Side note: from a previous post, I had mentioned that I didn't know how to start doing a "formal" teaching thing with my kids. One of my friends mentioned that she does a lot of her teaching while they're out & about or just while doing other stuff. I've realized that's when I do most of my teaching, as well. When we're in the car we'll sing the alphabet song or spell or count or point out colors of objects, etc. I really think it's a great way to use all that time! So thanks, MeChel!)
-He definitely loves his sister but is still a bit rough with her sometimes. We call Sofia "baby girl" & so Steven will call her that sometimes, as well. It's very cute :) He is also very protective of her. Just today, I was leaving my sister's house & her daughters were saying goodbye to the kids. Steven swatted at one of the girls because they were saying goodbye to Sofia. He said, "No! My sister!" It is endearing, even if he takes it to the extreme sometimes. Also, if we're in the car & Sofia will get upset, Steven will suggest that we sing to her. (His favorite year round is "Jingle Bells". I have no idea why...) When I put them to sleep, I usually will read them a few books & then sing each of them a separate song while they're in their own beds. Steven has started to come with me to Sofia's crib to help me sing to her.
Here are some pictures of recent happenings.
Steven & Sofia love to play outside. Steven has a tee ball set & here is Sofia about to throw the ball. I just love her stance. Very serious ;)
Steven ready to play some ball!Sofia during bath time. I just love her pigtails! Her babysitter always does the cutest hairstyles for her!
My son, the cheeseball ;)
Steven & Sofia playing. Steven was being so patient with Sofia while she tried (over & over) to put the ball on the tee. I was so proud of him! :)
How can you not love this face?!?
Steven
My brother came to visit earlier this month for the weekend. My kids fell in love with "Uncle Mawk". Everything Steven said to him was proceeded by "Uncle Mawk...(then the comment or question)". Very cute!
A few weeks ago, Sofia woke up with all these little red bumps all over her body. I had NO idea what it was & honestly I was afraid it might be chicken pox. I have never had them, & I don't believe I've had the vaccination, either, so I do NOT want to get them. Had she looked like this when she woke up, I would've known it wasn't chicken pox...anyway, I was probably a little overly worried (as moms get) so I took her to the pediatrician. They turned out be just hives (pretty bad case of them, if I do say so myself), which I'd never really seen either, but I have no idea what she got them from. They cleared up pretty quickly with some benadryl (thank goodness!). She was such a trooper & didn't complain!
At the end of June, we went down to Manti, Utah for the "Mormon Miracle Pageant", aka the Manti Pageant. Josh had never been & I hadn't been since high school so we took the kids & went with my sister & her family. I just took this picture to show how enormous those trash cans were. Seriously, biggest I'd ever seen that weren't dumpsters. Strangely large.
Sofia happy as always as we were walking around the streets of "downtown" MantiMy little boy: finding rocks to play with wherever he goes :)
Waiting for the pageant to start. Instead of letting me hold him, when Steven got tired, he just laid down on the (cold) grass with his blanket & went to sleep. Better than crying the whole time! :)













No comments:
Post a Comment