This year I really don't have many resolutions, rather, I think they'd best be described as "goals".
As with most people, I do have the goal of losing some weight. I do want to get those last 10 lbs off that I've been trying to lose for a while. More than that, though, I want to become a more healthy person. I'm not incredibly unhealthy but there's definitely room for improvement.
-I've noticed that when I am stressed, angry, or upset, my first impulse is to eat. And to eat junk. I don't know why that is because it really doesn't make me feel any better, nor does it solve any of the problems that made me stressed, angry, or upset in the first place. I really need to work on that and finding better ways to relieve my stress or calm me down. I have definitely noticed that when I eat healthy I feel better, not only because healthy for me, but also because I am proud of myself for eating something healthy ;) It's ironic that I still crave junk when it doesn't make me feel as good as healthy food does...There must be crack in that junk food...
-I also want to run a 5K. I enjoy working out on the treadmill but generally I just walk at a steep incline. That is a great workout but I didn't know if I could honestly run outside very well. I almost ran a 5K on Thanksgiving so I had started training for that early in November. I did better than I thought I would and I think it's very doable. I am aiming to run my first one in the Spring or Early summer when it's not 6 degrees outside.
-I definitely want to improve how my family eats as well as how I eat. I am responsible for how and what my kids eat so I should really be feeding them good food. For a while I didn't push healthy stuff on Steven but I am going to be doing much more of that this year. I would much rather have him asking for fruits and veggies than candy (a girl can dream, can't she? ;) ). In an effort to get Steven to branch out in his diet, Josh came up with what I think is a rather ingenious plan. Josh got out a bag of chocolate chips one night at dinner and told Steven, "If you eat [whatever it was we were trying to get him to eat], then you can have a chocolate chip." Steven didn't believe us at first but after a few times of explaining this concept, he ate what we were asking him to eat and he got one chocolate chip. I'm sure this would be described as bribery but a. He is eating a lot more variety now and I don't think that 4 or 5 chocolate chips are really going to offset that healthiness too much and b. My boy is skinny so I'm fine with him getting some extra calories ;) The goal is to get him to the point where he realizes, "Hey, theses veggies are good!" and doesn't need the chocolate as an incentive. He already does that to a point...sometimes he will eat several bites of whatever before asking for a chocolate chip. Maybe it's not the best trick in the book, but it's working for us, because he will readily try just about anything we ask him to now. Yay for that! :)
I also want to expand my horizons a bit as far as reading is concerned. I love to read but generally stick with the same genre and will even re-read books that I really like. So this year I am going to attempt to read (at least) one new book a month this year. I'm going to change it up every month so that I'm reading non-fiction as well as fiction, spiritual as well as classics and biographies. I'm pretty excited about this goal. :) If anyone has any favorites they'd like to suggest, I'm all ears. I will also probably be getting a lot of ideas from my good friend Jen as well as this blog. The link is to a blog that reviews all kinds of books. I like it because the blogger reads books that are outside his "comfort zone" I guess you could say and that's what I'm trying to do. Thanks to Dr. Tanner for introducing it to me! :)
Lastly, I'm going to be trying to be much better about reading my scriptures daily, praying more, going to the temple once a month, all that good stuff.
I'm trying not to do anything too outrageous as for as goals this year because 2011 is going to be full of crazy, crazy changes as it is! (But that's a whole other post)
No comments:
Post a Comment