Monday, November 1, 2010
A Higher Standard
I love food. It's just a fact. I also love baking. Growing up, I baked cookies once in a while but now that I'm married & living in my own space, I seem to have an urge to bake way more often. Not just cookies but eclairs or chocolate souffles or cookie salad, etc. For a while after Sofia was born I felt like it was an almost all-consuming thing. It was really frustrating because I felt like it was a really hard struggle to not eat sweets/ice cream, etc. all the time. Fortunately, that intense kind of craving has subsided but I still struggle with trying to work out, eat right, spend time with my family, as well as the miriad of other things I have going on in my life. For a little while about 2 months ago I decided to "give myself a break" & not worry about working out so much & just do it when I "had time". I quickly realized that that wasn't really working for me. A few weeks ago I'd got up to about 7 lbs heavier than the lowest point I'd gotten after having Sofia. I realized that if I kept going with "giving myself a break" I could easily end up at the point where I was before having Steven. I did not want that! I made a new goal: 10 lbs by my birthday (November 22nd...feel free to buy my presents! ;) ). I still don't know if I'll make that goal but I've realized something in the process. I don't really ever remember a time when I'd set a weight loss goal & actually met it when I had planned to. The only time I've had a lot of success when it comes to weight loss is after I've had my kids, & that wasn't because of anything I had done. I also realized that that trend carried on into other parts of my life as well. There are a lot of things (especially big plans) that I've said I was going to do but never did or finished. I also started thinking about how awesome it would feel to complete a goal I'd set for myself by the time I wanted to finish by. I really need to hold myself to a higher standard. I shouldn't say I'm going to do something unless I'm actually going to do it. With that being said, I don't know that I will realisticially be able to lose the 10 lbs total I had wanted to by my birthday but I am going to try my hardest! (I still have 7 more lbs in 3 weeks... :-/ ) Yes, it's definitely hard to resist the urge to bake & eat lots of yummy food, especially around the Holidays. And yes, it is hard to find the time to work out. But I can definitely tell a difference in my mood & attitude when I work out & when I don't. I really only have time to work out early in the morning (except on the weekends). I've started to feel lazy if I sleep in until 6 or 6:30, let alone 7! I especially love being able to work out on the treadmill. I've taken to reading a good book while I work out & it makes it even that much more enjoyable. The workout room in our complex is fairly nice & I've never seen anyone else in there, which makes it nice & quiet. I just wish the hours weren't so lame...it's only open from 2-7 pm. Anyway, I'm trying to do better & am very determined to do better with my goals!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
have you ever looked up routines on exercise tv, online? it's nice bc they have all kinds of things and most of them are free or cost just a couple of dollars to download. it keeps me interested and i don't get bored so easily. also remember that you have a friend that is a personal trainer and can help you out with the motivation and accountability part!
Post a Comment