Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ahhhhh!!!!


So about 2 minutes ago I just submitted my application as a transfer student to Utah Valley University. Why? You may ask. Why am I seemingly turning my back on BYU to apply to the Utah Valley rival (not the biggest rival, obviously, just the closest one)?? ;) Well, I will tell you.
A few months ago I just had this really strong feeling that I should apply to Nursing school & finish my long-ago started degree. I always had the intention of getting my Nursing degree but when I got pregnant with Steven & after having him I felt fine with waiting until my kids were a little bit older. So I was VERY surprised when I started having this feeling like I needed to finish school NOW. I couldn't get the thought off of my mind, I couldn't sleep (which I very rarely have a problem with) & I just couldn't let it go until I made up my mind that I would apply. I don't know why I had this feeling; call it divine inspiration or premonition; whatever. I just know that this is something I should do. I know it's going to be harder than anything I've ever done but I think the sacrifice will be well worth it. What if, HEAVEN FORBID, something happends to Josh? Even if he's just injured, he doesn't really have the kind of job where he could just sit around at a desk. Even if that doesn't happen (let's hope it never does), what if times get even rougher & there's not as much work for Josh's company? Or what if I simply get bored when my kids start going to school? I really have no idea what the future holds; I may not even work very much when I get my degree. All I know is that I feel really good about this decision.
So on to why UVU. Firstly, BYU's Nursing program is EXTREMELY difficult to get into. While I was a full-time student I (hate to admit it) was not a very good student, simply out of laziness. I know I wouldn't be able to get into BYU's program so I had to look elsewhere. I have looked into the U of U's program & their's is very good as well. I had also considered SLCC but they only off an Associate's degree & I already have all of my prerequisites done for a Bachelor's degree (once I get my RN) so I really didn't want to have all that time & money go to waste if there was an option to get a BSN at the same time as an RN. I looked into UVU & found that they now offer a BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) & their tuition is HALF the price of the U's. So there you have it. It'll be an annoying commute but well worth the money I'll be saving. Once I get "accepted" to UVU (it's an open enrollment school; I HOPE I get in! ;) ) I can apply to the Nursing program. By mid-November or early December I will know if I am accepted & if I get to start their program in early 2010.
I'm pretty excited, nervous, & anxious for this opportunity. Wish me luck, all!! I will definitely need it!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

how come you want a BSN? most things you can do with a BSN you can do with an associates.. are you thinking you'll eventually get your master's too?

Sammy Thompson said...

Congratulations!! I know you will rock!! Any support or encouragment you need I will be there! I love you Chantel & am proud of you!

Love Sammy

Sammy Thompson said...

HappY Birthday To Baby Steve! I am shocked he is One today!