Friday, April 5, 2013

Cruise Day #3

Our third day on board, we docked in Roatan Island, Honduras. We didn't have anything scheduled that day, so we slept in a little bit. 
I woke up before Josh did and went up on one of the upper decks to get a view of the Island before we got off. 
 After breakfast we headed down to get off the boat and go explore Honduras
Tyler & Armyn on the elevator
Josh & his infamous goofy face
 This was right off of the ship 
It was so weird to me to see Christmas trees and decorations when it was so warm outside. It was 2 weeks before Christmas, so it made sense that the decorations were up, it was just weird to me. 
Josh & I in front of the huge Christmas tree at the end of the dock
 Tyler & Armyn
We found a taxi that would take us to a nice beach for pretty cheap. We didn't really care which beach we went to, we just wanted to go to a nice one that had some good snorkeling. Tyler was the haggle king; in fact, he was never really satisfied with the price we got, no matter how low. It was nice to let him handle all that, though.
The van that we found was fairly big and there were two other couples in there that were going to take tours of the island. The tour guide said that they would drop us off first and then pick us up on the way back about 3-4 hours later.
Us in the van, ready to go to the beach!
The drive to the beach took about 15-20 minutes. Our ship docked at the port. Ours was the only ship docked that day.
Tyler took pictures along our way
Before leaving us, the tour guide found us a guy to take us snorkeling for a good price. Armyn & I before getting started
Tyler & Armyn had an awesome camera that was basically an all-terrain camera. It was water-proof, dust-proof, shatter resistant and wouldn't break if you dropped it under a certain height. They took the camera everywhere and got all the cool shots.
Tyler snorkeling
Sea turtle we followed around for a bit
I kept trying to do the "hang loose" sign, but it usually ended up looking more like "call me"
Armyn & I
Another shot of the turtle
Tyler kept trying to follow it, but the little bugger swam over some shallow coral when he decided he had had enough
One of my favorite fish. These pictures don't really do these animals justice but I love all the beautiful colors!
Cool coral
More pretty fish
After snorkeling. Do you like the mask prints on our faces? 
View of the shore from the boat on the way back
See? This one totally looks like I'm trying to say "call me"
After snorkeling we hung out on the beach for a while. Those chairs behind me cost money so I just parked it on my lava-lava
Josh & Tyler decided to play in the water
There was a anchored dock out a little ways that the boys went and dove from
The water was really warm so Armyn & I hung out & talked in the water rather than on the beach
Tyler & Armyn
View of the shore from out in the water a little bit
Tyler & Josh went snorkeling for a little bit on their own later and got some cool pictures.
Love this turquoise fish!
I think this was a puffer fish (not puffed, of course)
This one looked tie-dyed to me
Armyn & I
It wasn't a super hot day, but because it was so humid, that didn't matter. It sprinkled on & off, which made it a little chilly at times, but not too bad. We had asked the van to pick us up around 3 so we could make it back to the boat with plenty of time. We went to where they had dropped us off and waited. It started raining pretty hard then, and we all got wet again, even though we had dried off from being in the water. The van ended up being about 20 minutes late, but they finally got there. The driver apologized profusely, but I guess one of the other couples "wanted a $100 tour for $20." I'm just glad they came! We could've gotten a taxi back, but we had already paid for both ways so we didn't really want to do that.
While we were driving, the tour guide asked us where we were from. We said Utah and she immediately said something like, "Oh, where all the Mormons live?" and probably asked us if we were Mormon as well. I thought it was interesting, that all the way on this little island off of Honduras, that this lady knew about Mormons and that a lot of them live in Utah. I guess our church is more well-known than I thought!
Josh & I on our way back to the ship
Under the "Bienvenidos" sign
When we got back on the ship, we all went and showered. For dinner we went to the "formal" dining room. "Formal" was a loose term, but no swim suits, that kind of thing. I think the guys were supposed to wear collared shirts, and you weren't supposed to wear flip-flops. It was pretty good but we liked the main dining room better.
Josh & I
Tyler & Armyn. Tyler had to borrow one of Josh's shirts because he didn't bring any collared shirts
I think Josh was in a food coma...

It's either a dog or a pig. I'm not sure...

No comments: