Saturday, June 23, 2012

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

Sometime in April of this year, one of my good friends decided that she wanted to participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a 5k walk/run that supports the fight against breast cancer. I've been wanting to do a 5K for a while and because some of my friends were going to participate, I decided to do it. I started "training" for it and actually injured myself a little (I'm not sure what I did....I think it was probably shin splints) in the process. Because of that and because the group I was in was just walking, I decided to walk the 5K. It was a really great experience being there. There were a lot of cancer survivors and that was amazing to see. One of my good friends is a cancer survivor (not breast cancer but I still thought doing it for her counted ;) ) and is coming up on 8 years of being cancer free (YAY!!!). She is part of an organization called "stupid cancer" which is aimed towards young people with cancer. She sent me some of their wrists bands so my friends and I could wear them during the 5K.
Rockin' the bracelets on my train ride down town to the race. I also had the same amount of bracelets on the other arm.
The train was packed!
The group I walked with. These girls are from the Utah Surrogate Mothers group that I am a part of.

My good friend, Jen, & I
L-R: Darcy, Sarah, Jen, me, Amanda, Rylee, & Natalie. These girls are great!!
Yeah!

1 comment:

Dave~Mary said...

How fun to be a part of that! I love the last pic of all the hands with a bracelet- great job!