Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What a difference a year makes...

I have been meaning to write this blog for quite some time...I wanted it to be a reflection on the past year and therefore planned on writing it in December or January. It's now May. Good job me ;)
Wow. We have definitely had a year full of changes, both good & trying. New jobs, new friends, vacations, growing kids & other adventures took place in 2011.
At the beginning of January I left my on-again-off-again job of 3 1/2 years (that I loved) in order to take a part-time night job at Primary Children's Hospital. I had been thinking about getting a night job for quite some time in order to save some money on day care and be home with my kids more. I kind of just applied to the job on a whim; I didn't really think I'd get it, and I really just cared that in the description it said "night position". I was really surprised when I got it but happy. I was getting an almost $2/hr pay raise, I would be eligible for benefits, and my day care bill would be about a third of what it had been. I was definitely sad to leave my job at the OB office, but it was what I needed to do at that time. It was the best thing for my family. Let me tell you something, though: it was rough. Working a 12 hour shift from 7 pm to 7 am was hard. Harder than that, though, was being up all day the day before taking care of my kids, knowing that I had to then work 12 hours straight that night. I dreaded going to work, and basically being up for 24 hours straight. Once I got to work, I usually enjoyed it. I worked in the float pool, so I worked in 7 different units. I enjoyed that and I enjoyed learning so many new things. I would be up all day with the kids, *try* to stay up all night during work, and then I would come home and get about 4 hours of sleep the next morning. I was really surprised at how well I functioned after only getting 4 hours of sleep (or sometimes less) and then getting right back up and starting all over again. Fortunately, I only worked 2 nights a week, so it really wasn't too bad. I really feel like I was blessed to be able to function on such little sleep, especially while I was pregnant (for those of you who don't know about that, read on...). I also realized how much I liked having weekends and Holidays off. It was just tough all around on my family. Because of certain circumstances dealing with my pregnancy, I had to work until February of 2012. I really wanted to quit many times, but I hung in there. Now I am able to stay home full-time with my kids. If I hadn't worked that year at PCMC, I don't think I would appreciate staying at home as much as I do now. I don't mean to say that it was all bad, because I did enjoy a lot of it, but I am definitely grateful that that chapter in my life is over.
At the end of January, we took a trip down to Arizona & spent a week with my sister, Sammy, & her husband, Irwin. The vacation was very low-key but so great. We did a whole lot of nothing the majority of the time, but it was a lot of fun. Family vacations for us can only really happen during the winter because of Josh's work schedule. It's really nice to go some place warm during the winter, though, and also to go some place that has clean air.  In June, I was able to go to New York City and Connecticut for about 5 days with one of my best friends, Kim (continue reading for why I was in NYC). It was really hot and really humid while we were there. Kim had never experienced something like that and I can't say that she liked the weather. ;) We were there for a great reason, though, and we had a really good time. NYC was amazing!
In April of 2011, Sofia turned 1 and in September of 2011, Steven turned 3. Now another birthday of Sofia's has passed and she is now 2 years old. I can't believe how big they've gotten!
The biggest thing that happened in 2011 was that I became a surrogate. I think most people who read my blog know about this already, but I know there may be a few out there who don't yet know. When I first started the process, I was really excited about it, but didn't want to tell everyone before it was a sure thing. As time went on, I started telling more people and I was flat-out shocked when I got some really negative responses. After that, I was much more apprehensive about telling people, and I didn't blog about it here. Now that everything's said and done, I am now longer afraid of what people might say and no longer feel the need to hide it. It was an amazing experience and I am so grateful I got to be a part of it. Being a surrogate has changed me for life, has marked me in a positive way. I feel like I have grown a lot through this process and I feel much more comfortable standing up for myself and the choices I make. I've realized that sometimes people aren't going to agree with you, and that's okay. I can't let it hold me back. Some of my relationships in my life have changed but I don't think any are lost. There is much more I could say about this, but most of it I've already said on my private blog. I chronicled my experience as a surrogate on that blog, so if any of you want to read that who aren't already, leave me your email and I will send you an invite.
I hope your past year as been as amazing as mine. I really wouldn't change anything that happened. :)

3 comments:

Arika said...

Very cool. Uh, hello, I didn't even know that you had another blog. But I totally want an invite! arika.moore@hotmail.com

Chantel said...

I'm sorry! I didn't realize I hadn't invited you! I just sent you an invite :)

Denise said...

I would like your read about your experience. Could you send me an invite. spicy_chica24@hotmail.com